A Managed WordPress staging site lets you build and test your website without modifying the content your visitors see on the live site. There are some things you should keep in mind when using a staging site:
- All Managed WordPress plans (except Basic) come with exactly one staging site for each live website. If you have a Basic plan, you will need to upgrade your account to have a staging site.
- Staging sites use a domain we automatically generate for you. You cannot choose a different domain or add another domain to the staging site.
- Your staging site is persistent. We don't destroy and create staging sites for you every time you push to or pull from it. This can explain some synchronizing issues you might experience.
How do they work?
The typical workflow with a staging sites is usually these steps in this order:
- Create the staging site.
- Pull your production site content to the staging site.
- Develop your content in the staging site.
- Push the staging site content into your live site once you're done developing it.
- Repeat steps 2-4 when you need to develop your site further.